Project Wonderful

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Advocate from Where You Stand- Meatless Mondays


So, I'm trying out this new thing called moderation.

I've been thinking about doing a month as a vegan for a while in order to do my part for global sustainability. But after spending a week in the hospital and learning that my iron was 1/3 that of a healthy woman my age, I've been eating for nutrition before anything else. Enter Meatless Mondays, a global movement to stop eating meat on Mondays. (I'm taking it to the next level by going vegan.)

I like this movement because it's easy for anyone to adopt and even fun to experiment with new recipes, but it can have a huge impact. Approximately 1.3 billion people could be fed each year from the grain and soybeans that go to livestock in the US alone. If everyone went meatless once a week, we could reduce that impact by 1/7. (My possibly biased source of statistics here.)

If you want to join me, feel free to come over for dinner and sign the pledge here.

No comments:

Post a Comment