Project Wonderful

Friday, August 31, 2012

Ask An Election Nerd: I'm going canvassing tomorrow!!!


I got this question on my tumblr and I mostly sharing it with you because I think it's adorable. Also, guys are you not training your volunteers? I can't hold the whole operation together remotely from New York! Help me help you! But seriously, your volunteers should know what they are doing before they come into your office or at very least they should have your contact info so they can call or e-mail you instead of emailing me. I mean I'm happy to help but, ya know. Also, if my tumblr is the first thing that comes up when someone searches for you candidate/issue campaign, that might be a problem too. Enjoy!
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Question:

I don't know if you will see this/reply to it in time but I will ask anyway. I randomly found this blog while searching for information about the campaign. I am going canvassing in my city tomorrow for the very first time. I don't know what to expect at all. Do you have any tips such as what a guy should wear? Anything would help though.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Nanswer:

Oh man, this question is awesome. Although I am mildly concerned that this is the website that comes up when you search for the campaign. I don’t know what campaign you are searching for, but I can’t imagine any campaign wants this to be what comes up.

Anyway, to answer your question: Canvassing can vary from campaign to campaign. You will most likely be walking from door to door. Most campaigns will give you a targeted list of voters and you will have a script to follow and a way to record the information. I am sure your field organizer will explain to you exactly what to do when you arrive for your shift. (If not, please report back and I will be sure to yell at her/him!!!!!)

As for what you should wear, there is no need to dress up. Just look relatively clean and presentable and make sure to wear something comfortable since you will be walking around outdoors.

Without knowing what you are volunteering for, I want to thank you on behalf of the entire campaign community. (It’s cool, they’ve basically made me their queen.) And please do let me know how it goes!

Good luck!

Best,

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment